Improvement of the mechanical properties of composite material
Thin pre-impregnated unidirectional tapes made by NTPT™ show a better fiber wet-out than conventional prepreg material. Due to very low thickness of plies, resin flows in-between every filaments during the impregnation process. Furthermore, composites made of thin plies are more homogeneous, with a very even and well controlled resin-fiber distribution. This explains the improved mechanical properties compared to conventional composites.
A number of scientists have proven and quantified the mechanical benefits provided by thin plies. Some references of scientific articles are listed at the bottom of this page.
At NTPT™, we have conducted our own characterization program, in partnership with Swiss industrials (RUAG Space, RUAG Technology and Connova) and universities (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL and the University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland).
This program, based on specimen made of Toray M40J fiber and NTPT 736 resin, has delivered impressive results:
- Better homogeneity of composites with thin plies
- 40% in tensile strength of Quasi Isotropic laminate and o+ 230% in damage onset
- +25% in compressive strength on Unidirectional laminates
- +30% in damage onset on holed QI laminates
- +20% in bearing strength on QI laminates
- 10 times longer life span on holed QI laminates
For more details, please read these documents.