Thin Ply Prepregs allow greater optimisation of modulus, strength and weight, and an overall improvement in mechanical performance of the final part. Through NTPT™’s proprietary and unique fibre spreading process, a more homogeneous and stronger laminate is achieved.
NTPT™ Thin Ply Prepregs – the advantage:
- More degrees of freedom in fibre orientation leading to ‘high definition’ engineering and greater optimisation
- Unique fibre spreading process leads to a more homogeneous laminate, resulting in fewer fibre/resin rich areas and lower void content, so improved integrity of the part
- Higher average strength and twice the design strength of conventional composites
- A broad range of fibre types, resin matrices and weights available Well-researched and proven products in highly critical applications
Proven results based on scientific research
A number of scientists have proven and quantified the mechanical benefits provided by thin plies. Please see the references at the bottom of this page.
In addition, NTPT™ has conducted its own characterisation programme, in partnership with Swiss companies (RUAG Space, RUAG Technology and Connova) and universities (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL and the University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland).
The program, based on specimen made of Toray M40J fibre and NTPT™ 736 resin, has delivered impressive results:
- Better homogeneity of composites with thin plies
- +40% in tensile strength of Quasi Isotropic (QI) laminate and +230% in damage onset
- +25% in compressive strength on Unidirectional laminates
- +30% in damage onset on holed QI laminates
- +20% in bearing strength on QI laminates
- 10 times longer life span on holed QI laminates
For more details, please read these documents.